With tax season upon us again, it is important to make sure that all your information is up to date with the IRS.  If your name has changed due to a marriage or divorce, it is important to notify the IRS in order to avoid a delay in receiving your refund.  

How to Make Life Easier After a Name Change

Here are some tips if you or your dependent’s names have changed:

Antonelli & Antonelli Probate & Estate Litigation Attorneys New York New York

  1. If you were married and are now using your married name, notify the IRS of your name change so that the IRS can match your new name with your Social Security number. If you were divorced and are now using your former name, you should likewise notify the IRS.
  2. Then, you should notify the Social Security Administration of your name change by filing form SS-5-FS, an Application for a Social Security Card. This can be filed at your local Social Security office or by mail with proof of your legal name change. You can obtain form SS-5 on the SSA’s website, by calling 800-772-1213, or at your local Social Security Office. You will be issued a new social security card that reflects your name change.
  3. If you adopted your new spouse’s children and their names changed, you'll need to update their names with the Social Security Administration too. In the case of adopted children who have not been issued social security numbers, parents can apply for an Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number by filing Form W-7A with the IRS, an Application for Taxpayer Identification Number for Pending U.S. Adoptions. This is a temporary number used in place of a social security number on the tax return. Form W-7A is available on the IRS.gov website or by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).


Here are some helpful links:

Do You Need To Speak With A Lawyer About Estate Planning?

If you need to speak with an experienced estate litigation attorney please contact us online or call our New York City office directly at 212.227.2424 to schedule your free consultation. We proudly serve clients in Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island, The Bronx, Nassau County, Westchester County and throughout New York as well as New Jersey.

Daniel R. Antonelli
Representing trust & estate clients with an emphasis on estate litigation in the New York City Metro Area.
Join The Conversation
Post A Comment